WINCHESTER SMOKELESS GUN POWDER:
Franklin Olin and three partners formed the Equitable Powder Corporation in East Alton, Illinois, in 1892, which became Winchester Smokeless Propellants. Olin formed the Western Cartridge Company in 1898 to sell ammunition and distribute Equitable Powder Company powder. Western Cartridge purchased Winchester Repeating Arms in 1931. Western became Winchester-Western.
Winchester Ammunition and Hodgdon Powder Company licensed Winchester-branded reloading powders in March 2006. Hodgdon Powder Company licenses Winchester Smokeless Propellants from St. Marks on the Florida gulf coast. Handloaders may match factory performance of pistol, rifle, and shotgun loads using Winchester Smokeless Propellants, the choice of loading experts.